Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Leftovers

Before I became a mom I hated leftovers.  I would never eat them and once every couple of weeks I would go through my fridge and have to throw out all the leftovers that I had good intentions of one day eating.  Well I didn't realize though that I like cooking with leftovers.  I like to take something that was once one dish and make something totally new with it. 
Example.  Last week I made baked chicken thighs.  There were a few pieces left and I wanted to use them up.  Well I chopped up some onion and sauted it in olive oil, then added my chopped up chicken.  I chopped up the skin also and threw that in.  After the onions were at the tender stage I threw in some carrots, a can of stewed tomatoes a can of corn and a bay leaf.  I let it simmer for an hour or so and we ate it over rice.  So now I have rice and this chicken dish.  I now have added some extra chicken stock to the rice and chicken mixture and froze it but it will be soup one day when I need something in a flash to cook for the little man. 
I'm not a processed food person.  I wasn't raised on hamburger helper and such so I don't think like that when it comes to cooking.  I like to make things from scratch, or now from leftovers. 
Last night I had made roasted veggies in the oven with greek seasoning on them.  Well what to do with leftover roasted vegetables?  How about boil them until you can mash them down and then reserve just the juice for your own vegetable stock?!  Yep, that's what I did. 
Tonight on the menu is crustless pizza and my own potato chips.  Basically it is a meatloaf type of base on a pizza pan with all the toppings and you bake it like you would a pizza.  If it all turns out I'll post the recipe and pictures of it tomorrow.
ttfn!

No comments: