Saturday, March 27, 2010

Love

Today was Jacob's Open House to welcome him into my life, my family, extended family, and friends lives.  It definately was a celebration and a lot of fun had by everyone.  From my immediate family to cousins, aunts, uncles, co-workers, friends and neighbors all came to celebrate.
I was asked though what is my favorite part about motherhood.  I had no clue, I was stumped.  Later on in the day I was driving with Jacob chattering away in the back of the jeep and I was thinking about the answer to that question.  What is my favorite part?  Is it the sideways kisses he gives, is it the way I know the difference in each of his cries, is it playing trucks with him, is it being at home and seeing him change so fast; what is it?
It's learning to love. 
I've loved people before but not as a mother.  My favorite part of being a mother is that feeling that I'm bursting with happiness whenever I just look at Jacob.  That feeling of happiness that I feel deep inside when I go to get him in the morning from bed, or to hold him in my arms when he is tired and just wants to be cuddled.  That feeling I get when even though I'm frustrated I don't grit my teeth like I did with other children when I was about to pull my hair out.  That feeling like he is the best thing that ever happened to me, that feeling that even though it's 3am and I'm tired and he's crying and I don't know why all I want to do is hold him and make everything better. 
This is what my favorite part about being a mother is.

No comments: